Current:Home > InvestThe Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security -Infinite Edge Learning
The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 06:12:40
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. (AP) — The Secret Service now acknowledges it denied some requests by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign for increased security at his events in the years before the assassination attempt on him at a recent rally.
In the immediate aftermath of the July 13 attack, the law enforcement agency had denied rejecting such requests. But the Secret Service acknowledged late Saturday, a week after the attempt on Trump’s life, that it had turned back some requests to increase security around the former president.
The reversal is likely to be a key focus of a congressional hearing Monday where Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle is expected to appear before lawmakers who have been expressing anger over security lapses that allowed a 20-year-old gunman to climb atop the roof of a nearby building at Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and fire his weapon.
Trump was wounded in the right ear, one rallygoer was killed and two others were injured.
“The Secret Service has a vast, dynamic, and intricate mission. Every day we work in a dynamic threat environment to ensure our protectees are safe and secure across multiple events, travel, and other challenging environments,” the agency’s chief spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement released late Saturday to The Washington Post. The newspaper was first to report on the agency’s reversal, which it said was based on detailed questions submitted to the agency.
“We execute a comprehensive and layered strategy to balance personnel, technology, and specialized operational needs,” Guglielmi said.
He said the agency will rely on state and local law enforcement departments in some cases where specialized Secret Service units are unavailable.
“In some instances where specific Secret Service specialized units or resources were not provided, the agency made modifications to ensure the security of the protectee,” Gugliemi said. “This may include utilizing state or local partners to provide specialized functions or otherwise identifying alternatives to reduce public exposure of a protectee.”
After the assassination attempt, as reports began to circulate that the agency had denied the Trump campaign’s requests, Guglielmi issued a denial.
There is “an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed,” Gugliemi said in a social media post. “This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s live coverage of this year’s election.
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has said what happened was a “failure” while several lawmakers have called on Cheatle to resign or be fired. Cheatle so far retains the support of Democratic President Joe Biden and Mayorkas.
Biden, who is campaigning to deny Trump a second term in the White House, has ordered an independent investigation. The Homeland Security Department and congressional committee are also investigating.
Trump says he was given no indication that law enforcement had identified a suspicious person when the former president took the stage in Pennsylvania. Some rallygoers said in interviews after the attempted assassination that they saw the gunman on the roof before Trump walked out onto the stage and had alerted law enforcement authorities on site.
In an interview with Fox News host Jesse Waters set to air Monday, Trump said, “No, nobody mentioned it, nobody said there was a problem” before he took the stage and a gunman opened fire. “They could’ve said, ‘Let’s wait for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, something.’ Nobody said. I think that was a mistake.”
Trump also questioned the security lapses and how the gunman was able to access the roof of the building.
“How did somebody get on that roof? And why wasn’t he reported? Because people saw that he was on the roof,” Trump said. “So you would’ve thought someone would’ve done something about it.”
Local law enforcement officers had seen the man and deemed him suspicious enough to circulate his photo and witnesses reported seeing him scaling the building.
—-
Associated Press writer Jill Colvin in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (14863)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Ukrainian and Hungarian foreign ministers meet but fail to break a diplomatic deadlock
- Cher dealt another blow in her request for temporary conservatorship over her son
- Pennsylvania high court revives a case challenging Medicaid limits for abortions
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Expletive. Fight. More expletives. Chiefs reach Super Bowl and win trash-talking battle
- In 'Martyr!,' an endless quest for purpose in a world that can be cruel and uncaring
- Kansas City Chiefs Coach Andy Reid Shares How Taylor Swift Teased Travis Kelce When They Met
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Horoscopes Today, January 29, 2024
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- EU moves slowly toward using profits from frozen Russian assets to help Ukraine
- There are countless options for whitening your teeth. Here’s where to start.
- Expletive. Fight. More expletives. Chiefs reach Super Bowl and win trash-talking battle
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- 'No place like home': Dying mobster who stole 'Wizard of Oz' ruby slippers won't go to prison
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva received a 4-year ban. Her team's Olympic gold medal could go to Team USA.
- It's so Detroit: Lions' first Super Bowl was in sight before a meltdown for the ages
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
A Boston doctor goes to trial on a charge of lewd acts near a teen on a plane
Michigan man charged with threatening to hang Biden, Harris and bomb Washington D.C.
Northern Ireland political party agrees to end 2-year boycott that caused the government to collapse
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Missouri prosecutor seeks to overturn the conviction of an inmate who has spent decades on death row
Mystery surrounding 3 Kansas City Chiefs fans found dead outside man's home leads to accusations from victim's family
T.J. Holmes and Amy Robach’s Exes Andrew Shue and Marilee Fiebig Have Rare Airport Outing